Thursday 28 March 2013

Harbour porpoise

Harbour porpoise sighting via Sussex Ornithological Society

At the end of my walk descending to the breakwater at the E end of Seaford esplanade (Splash Point) - the sea a flat calm in the lee of the cliffs, I noticed something dark diving not far out on the sea, I stopped and paid a bit more attention, expecting a cormorant to surface at any moment, imagine my delight when I found myself watching three Harbour Porpoises!

They were initially only about 40m offshore, milling around in line with the easternmost beach huts. I descended to the beach, and watched them for 5-10 minutes, there were definitely three (I suspect two ad. & a slightly smaller probable juvenile - about 3/4 the size of the other two).

There may have been as many as five, but the most I saw at any one time was three. A shame there was nobody else around (in the freezing conditions) to enjoy them. They eventually drifted further offshore and eastwards. This would have been about 13.45.


No comments: